Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Stuffed Bell Peppers!

I went to the Farmer's Market with my good friend Dollie last week. While we were browsing I came across some of the biggest bell peppers I think I've ever seen. So immediately I thought "I'll do stuffed peppers next week!" This is one of my favorite dishes to eat. It's a fairly simple recipe thats packed with a ton of flavor. I hope you try this one out and enjoy it!

What you need:
Bell peppers (the bigger the better)
1/4 lb hamburger meat
1/4 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced Italian style tomatoes
1 cup cooked white rice
1 T Italian Seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 cup cheese
(These measurements make exactly 4 large bell peppers so don't forget to increase them according to the amount you're making.)

What you do:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop your bell peppers in and boil for 2 minutes. This will soften them up but still keep them sturdy enough to stand up. Let them drain on a towel while you prep the other ingredients.

Chop your onion & garlic. Brown your meat with the onion and garlic.

Stir in 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and the whole can of diced tomatoes. Add in your cooked white rice, stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes.

Pour the rest of the tomato sauce into the bottom of your baking dish. Spoon the filling into each pepper and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Once the 45 minutes is up, top with cheese (I used a cheddar and mozzarella mix) and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes. Serve with warm bread or a cool salad. 
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment