Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Chicken & Dumplings

This recipe is unbelievably yummy! I am not a fan of chicken and dumplings but this recipe makes me a fan! It is my Granny Ashcraft's recipe that she gave to me a year or so ago. This is great for anytime really but especially if you or someone you know isn't feeling well. It's such a great comfort food!

What you'll need:
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 and 1/2 cups self rising flour 
3 tablespoons of oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of water
one egg
2 cans cream of chicken soup
Salt & Pepper to taste

What you do:
Place chicken in a large stock pot and fill with water until chicken is just covered and boil until chicken is done.


In a bowl combine flour, salt, water, oil & egg. Stir together until the dough comes together. Add more water if needed. 

Lightly flour your surface & roll out your dough very thin. Let it stand for 20 minutes.

Remove your chicken from the boiling water and SAVE the broth. Now, you can shred your chicken by hand but I just throw it in my food processor and pulse a few times.

Using your whisk, put the cans of cream of chicken into the broth and whisk together until the soup dissolves. Add salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Jeremy likes his food salty so I added quite a bit.

Cut your dough into strips and then into rectangles.

Stir your water a few times to get a circular motion going then drop your dumplings into the broth mixture one at a time. If you drop them all together it'll just be a big clump and you don't want that! :)

Just thought I would throw this one in... She was helping me cook this meal :)

Try this recipe and I promise you'll love it. It's so rich and creamy but also that comforting feeling you always got eating chicken noodle soup growing up... BUT BETTER! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment