Thursday, March 1, 2012

Honoring our husbands...

I went to Tuesday Bible study at my church this week and Nycol Mealer was teaching on "The In Home Experience." This week the topic was honoring our husbands. I personally feel that I do a great job of making sure Jeremy knows he is loved and appreciated. I tell him constantly how much he means to me and that I appreciate his hardwork. But on Tuesday Nycol shared something that really made me think. She told us to go home and put on our husbands shoes. She said to just stand in them and just feel how big they are and how each and every day he has to fill them and live up to those expectations. 

Tonight as I was picking everything up so I could sweep and mop, I found Jeremy's work shoes by the front door. I've seen those shoes a million times. I saw them before they were in the shape they are currently in. I remember buying this particular pair of shoes. But tonight, looking at this pair of shoes hit me like a ton of bricks. I had tears in my eyes as I carried them to our closet to put them away. 



For the first time I really noticed how beaten up and worn out these shoes were. A lot like Jeremy is sometimes after a long day at work. My husband is the hardest worker I've ever met. I know you're sitting there thinking "Well, my husband is more of a hard worker." But I can assure you, he's not :) Not only is my Jeremy a hardworker but he NEVER complains. He never says "I hate going to work" or "I wish I didn't have to work" even though I know the thoughts have crossed his mind. In fact, he is at work right now. He went in this morning at about 6:30 and will probably be out working until well past midnight. He's exhausted and I am sure would rather be in bed with me asleep right now but he's not because he is committed to providing for his family. Before I put the shoes away in the closet, I put them on. I immediately felt the weight and pressure he feels on a daily basis. The pressure to provide alone is a huge burden I know he feels. 

I am definitely old fashioned when it comes to marriage. I believe the woman should cook a meal every night, keep the house clean and raise the kids and the husband should go to work and provide for the family. That's exactly what our household looks like. I take pride in the up-keep of our house & having a hot meal on the table every night because it's my way of saying thank you for your hard work to my husband on a daily basis. Life gets in the way and especially with kids added to the mix, sometimes we forget to say thank you or really take the time to appreciate our spouses. I encourage you to take the time this weekend to do what I did... Step into your spouse's shoes and literally feel the daily burdens they feel. Make it a point to stand in their shoes and pray for them daily. 

Jeremy, I love you so very much and appreciate all that you do for your girls. Your hard work never goes unnoticed with me. I am always so thankful that God picked you for me and that I have you to lean on and enjoy our journey in life. You're my favorite ;)

3 comments:

  1. Love this, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching reminder to appreciate our husbands! I love the idea of standing in his shoes to feel what he feels on a daily basis. (also have an appreciation for the old fashion life) -Anna

    ReplyDelete