Thursday, April 12, 2012

Recipe of the week: Tomato Basil Soup

I have an obsession with la Madeline's tomato basil soup. We don't have one on my side of town so I hardly ever get to eat it. There's nothing quite like a big bowl of it with a sandwich. My husband doesn't like for me to cook soup when the weather is warm. I, however, eat it all year round. I asked him if he would mind having this soup for dinner one night this week so I could share it with yall here on the blog. Of course, he agreed. :) So here it is... It's easy and SO delicious!

What you need:

1 can whole peeled tomatoes
1 cup tomato juice
1/2-1 cup of heavy cream (add as much as you prefer.)
2 tablespoons of butter
3 tablespoons chopped basil
Salt & Pepper to taste

What you do:

Combine can of tomatoes & tomato juice in large pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Take your basil, stack it on top of each other, roll it up and chop it into ribbons. PLEASE do not take scissors and cut it up. Chopping releases the natural flavors and oils in the basil. Cutting it up doesn't release these like chopping does.



Take the tomatoes that have been simmering, throw them in your blender and toss in the basil. Puree until smooth. Return to pot.

Add heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer for another 30 minutes.

We enjoyed ours with a grilled cheese but it also pairs well with a salad, cold sandwich and maybe some croutons on top of the soup. Leave me some feedback if you try this one out! 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment