Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Our Anniversary Trip!


Jeremy and I just celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary on April 16th. For our one year anniversary, we didn't get to take a trip because we were busy trying to remodel the house we had just bought and get ready for Rylee's arrival. So this year, we knew it was a must to take a trip! Originally, we were thinking of going away to Florida or California for a week or so but when it came down to it, I wanted to stay closer and keep it at a weekend trip because I wasn't so sure about being away from Rylee for that long just yet. So we packed our bags and headed to Canyon Lake, TX to stay at Canyon Lakeview Resort. It's right on the water and has a boat ramp on the property. There were deer there that would walk right up to you and eat out of your hand, as you can see in the photo below. It was such a nice getaway. I wanted to share some of the places we ate at and places we went so if you're ever in that area you can stop in and enjoy them too!









The water at this particular lake is blue. It's SO beautiful! We went exploring around the property and found a cliff that reminded me so much of Hawaii. Just to give you an example, the photo on the left is Hawaii and the one on the right is Canyon Lake. 









We left on Thursday and stayed in New Braunsfels for the night. We ate at Adobe Verde, which is a Mexican restaurant in downtown Gruene. First, let me say, I want to move to Gruene. It is SUCH a cute town. Adobe Verde was delicious! We both had the Adobe Tacos which is chicken or beef fajita meat on a flour tortilla with cheese, beans, avocado and a salsa. It's grilled until crispy and served with rice & beans. SO delicious. I highly recommend this place. After we ate there we went bowling... SO FUN! Haha.


The next day, we spent the morning and early afternoon exploring Gruene. They have these huge Oak trees all throughout the streets that are just breathtaking.  We had lunch at the Gristmill, which is a very well known place. Jeremy had the chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and I had a burger. Let me tell you, it was one of best burgers I've ever eaten. And I am a burger snob. It's my favorite food. It was very juicy,  seasoned well and cooked perfectly. The restaurant over looks the Guadalupe River. The photo to the left was our view from the table. It's such a neat place and the atmosphere was great! We spent the rest of the afternoon walking around and shopping. 






That evening we drove to Canyon Lake where we were spending the rest of the weekend. We had dinner at the Italian Garden, which we didn't really care for. Saturday morning we ate at Old Sattler Baking Co. which was so gross. I was so hopeful that it was going to be good because it looked like a cute little cafe from the outside but once we got inside I just knew it wasn't going to be tasty. I do not recommend it AT ALL. That afternoon we drove back into New Braunsfels to visit the Farmers Market and shop at the circle. On our way back, we stopped and ate a cool joint on the river called Lone Star Float & Grill. I had chicken strips & fries and Jeremy had the pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw. Both were delicious. We sat out on the patio overlooking the river. Such a neat place! That evening we went to the other side of the Lake from where we were staying and ate at a place called Lucky's. A local had told us about it and so we tried it out. I had the pulled pork tacos and O-M-G... They were SOOOO good. I wish there was a Lucky's close by my house! I highly recommend this place.


We rode horses Saturday evening along the shore of the Lake. Such a cool experience. I hope that if you are ever in that part of the state you can check out some of the places we enjoyed! Below are the addresses for the restaurants that we liked!


••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Adobe Verde- 1724 Hunter Road Gruene, Texas

 The Gristmill- 1287 Gruene Road New Braunfels, TX

Lone Star Grill- 7430 River Road  New Braunfels, TX

Lucky's- 18100 Farm to Market 306  Canyon Lake, TX







2 comments:

  1. I love how you not only included the restaurants yall liked, but those to stay away from (clear away!) too! Happy Belated Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to come back to the blog to look at the oak tree picture again! I really like the one of Jeremy on horseback, too. Sounds like you guys had a great time and managed to survive being away from Sweetpea. We had a good laugh when Jeremy zipped into the parking lot at church; the car had barely stopped moving and you were out flying across the lot to get to your girl! Unless you are a mother, you just don't get it! :)

    ReplyDelete