Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Buttermilk Chicken Strips

I love making fried chicken but I hardly ever make it with the bone in. The reason for that is that I hate eating bone-in chicken. And so does my husband. But we love chicken strips so I came up with this yummy buttermilk marinade to soak my chicken in and it makes the meat so juicy and moist. Try this marinade out for when you make fried chicken next time. You'll love it!

What you'll need: 
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp lawry's season salt
boneless skinless breasts
2 cups buttermilk

What you do:
Take your chicken breasts and cut them into strips that are about an inch and a half wide.


Throw the strips in a bowl and pour buttermilk over them until they're completely covered.

Add the salt, pepper, lawry's, cayenne & garlic powder. Toss to combine and coat. Let them soak for at least 2 hours but up to 24. You don't want to soak them longer than 24 hours because the buttermilk will start to break down the meat and it'll be mushy.

After they have soaked for the alloted time, take them and dip them in flour mixture. I mix all the same seasonings that I have in the buttermilk in the flour as well. Chicken can tend to be a tad bland at times so the secret is to season them well along the way.

Heat your oil in a large skillet and fry the strips for about 3 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. I served mine with mashed potatoes and gravy on this particular night. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment