Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Red beans & Rice

Life has been so crazy lately!! Jeremy's been working a lot and I had a baby shower to plan on top of working on Rylee's birthday party along with all my regular duties :) So that's the reason I haven't had a recipe of for a week or two... BUT IM BACK! And I am back with a super delicious meal that you have to try for your family.

This recipe comes to you from my sweet friend Dollie Branson. She is an amazing cook and we are always swapping recipes. I hope that you try this one out for your family. It's a crowd pleaser for sure!


What you need:
2 cans kidney beans (red or light)
1 Green bell pepper-chopped
Garlic salt to taste
2 tsp. Tony's Creole seasoning
Hot sauce (to your taste. I do about 4 shakes.)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. flour
1 pkg  Smoked sausage or Andouille sausage - chopped.

What you do:
Heat your oil in a large pot. Once it's hot stir in two tablespoons of flour and stir constantly to make a rue. 

Cook until the color of peanut butter, set aside.

Chop your bell pepper & sausage.

Cook in skillet together until pepper is tender and sausage is browned just a tad.

Combine sausage, peppers, beans (with their juice), hot sauce, Tony Chateres & garlic salt. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

I served mine over rice and with a slice of cornbread! So delicious!! You HAVE to try this one out. And if you do head back over here to let me & Dollie know how you liked it! :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment